Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Brain Exercise

I'm not going to lie: staying home with three kids ages six, four and fourteen months isn't the most intellectually stimulating task in the world. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't give it up for anything. I love what I do and I have no desire to stretch my mental capacities beyond doing what I currently am at this point in time.

That said, I never really thought about the idea that keeping my brain in neutral day in and day out, so to speak, has left it vulnerable. When I first starting forgetting things (Why did I come into this room-- what was I supposed to get?) I blamed it on pregnancy. All the experts say forgetfulness is a symptom and I was pacified. Later I blamed it on having two kids. Then three.

Or keeping the house running smoothly.

And having school events to organize.

Or church functions to orchestrate.

The excuses flowed easily.

Lately though, I've wondered. Could it be my forgetfulness is more of a product of not exercising my brain and not because of having children? This article suggests that it might.

So, what's my New Year's resolution? To take better care of my mind. Its regimen will include Sudoku, Chess, non-fiction books about something other than parenting and more writing (though what about or for what purpose I'm not yet sure).

5 comments:

sixty-five said...

That reminds me that when my kids were roughly those ages one of the things I did was play chess by mail (postcard)- one move at a time - through the USCF or whatever it was called. I'm sure my opponents were all 14-year old guys! I think I remember your mom saying that Mrs Butland did that too. No internet then!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate.
Sometimes I feel like I am selling myself short because I am only using my brain power on childrearing. But then I think about all that I am gaining by being at home with my kids and I wouldn't trade any amount of brain exercising for this!
I am contemplating what I might do once both kids are in school fulltime to stimulate myself intellectually a bit more.

Superdad said...

I have been trying to get you to play chess with me for 7 years! I challenge you to a match tonight.

angieoh! said...

Supermom. Fow funny that you wrote this. I too have resolved to write more. Come check out my new project fancysimple.blogspot.com to see. A friend and I are giving daily prompts to keep up with journals. Not so easy but a good goal nonetheless!

Happy new year!!

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend Sarah really enjoys crossword puzzles. That is another way to help keep the mind sharp.

Does the magazine still exist, called "Games"? That might be another idea.