Monday, February 12, 2007

Pass the Sugar, Please

All kids like food made with sugar, or so it seems. But not all kids like food made with sugar.

Madeleine likes her cake and candy, but not so much that she'll gorge herself. And she'll often choose a healthy snack after school, preferring that to a homemade sugary treat.

And then there's Hank. He has proven too many times during sugar centered occasions (trays of Christmas cookies lying about, for instance) that he's painfully out of tune with his body. He's made himself sick on more than one occasion by popping one too many cookies in his mouth.

We've learned that when it comes to cake, candy, cookies and other sweet treats that Hank's behavior needs to be closely monitored. It's tiresome to hear him trying to break into the cookie jar when I leave the kitchen. Again. And again. And again.

Well now it appears Superdad and I have another sweet tooth in the house. Elisabeth isn't quite capable yet of breaking into the cookie jar, but she's made it abundantly clear that she approves of cookies and cake. She hasn't had them that often yet somehow she's aware of exactly what they are and exactly how much she wants them.

Here she is enjoying a chocolate chip cookie this past Saturday night. A happy little baby follows:

5 comments:

Superdad said...

Just think in a few years Hank can teach Elisabeth all the best ways to sneak a peace of candy.

I love how Hank does not understand how loud he is when trying to get some candy or a cookie. He really doesn't get it at all. You'll hear Hank rustling around in the kitchen and ask, "what are you doing Hank?" and he’ll respond, "Don't come in here right now Daddy." He thinks that if I don't actually see him elbow-deep in the cookie jar he has succeeded.

Anonymous said...

LOL, Superdad. "Don't come in here right now Daddy." I can just picture the sneaky sideways glances... I just saw several of them from my own boys just this morning. I still have a hard time keeping a straight face.

I am the Hank-Elisabeth type, especially when chocolate is involved. Timely post, Supermom! :)

Unknown said...

Aww....I just wanted to say that I love the pictures of her. I love seeing her and hearing about Elisabeth since she is almost exactly the same age as my Maia. Going down memory lane today. This snow is getting to me, I think ;)

AlexanderTheGreat said...

Mousetraps in the cookie jar for a little creative conditioning! (Probably good thing I don't have kids)

nina said...

I want grandchildren!