Friday, November 14, 2008

What Should We Do?

Tomorrow Madeleine and I are going down to Chicago with a pair of friends (a friend for me and a friend for Madeleine, who happen to be another mother/daughter pair). Joe saw this as an opportunity to head north and prepare for the opening of gun deer season next weekend (apparently some Wisconsin hunters have been bow hunting for weeks) by checking his deer stand, sighting-in his new scope and all sorts of other things I don't really understand and probably never will.

But he, Hank and Elisabeth are leaving tonight leaving Madeleine and me with a night on our own. I have some ideas of what I want to do with her, but this is such a rare opportunity we have that I want to make sure I've vetted all my options.

What would you do if you and your oldest girl were left alone for a night? Would you go out? Where would you go? Would you stay in? What would you do?

7 comments:

AlexanderTheGreat said...

I always take people to restaurant at the top of the Hancock tower. It is free and has a great view, though will definitely cost you if you decide to have much more than a soda. Just ask for the elevator to the restaurant.

Museum of Science and Industry was always a favorite of mine as a kid, went there at least once a year.

Then there is always shopping on the magnificent mile.

Chinatown could be an interesting experience?

Could always give Tryner a call.

Of course could always do what I did at Madeleine's age, get dropped of by Dad and wander around the city by myself all day long.

Anonymous said...

C. and I always like to dig into a new craft project when we're on our own... I'm sure you had fun, whatever you did!

sixty-five said...

I thought the question was: we're going to Chi tomorrow, so what should we do tonight, while we are alone in Wisconsin? Knowing nothing of the options, I kept mum. Though I was tempted to respond: why not find a glamorous hotel bargain on line and head for the city immediately? Have an Eloise-ish time, maybe some room service, a fancy breakfast, whatever. Another time, perhaps?

Terri said...

hope you had/ are having fun! :) plus, I wanted 2 tell you i joined the great time-waster, facebook, you should, too. or, not. we need 2 hang out soon.

Alexis Jacobs said...

I hope you guys had a great time. I would have taken Em for a mother daughter pedicure or manicure and then to dinner. She loves those types of things.

Cate said...

OK, Terri, I just signed up for Facebook. So far I have wasted two hours this afternoon searching for old friends. Oh, and your sister accepted me before you did. Boo-hoo! <:(

Anonymous said...

alex ... dropped off in the city to wander around Chicago at the age of eight? Could be. You still are wandering and, apparently, lost your way ...

Onto the other subject of the night and this is hindsight as the future now is past ... take Madeleine to Noodles.