Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Almost There

A month or so ago I looked at our calendar the week preceding Caroline's technical due date and happily looked at the events we'd scheduled. Some people thought we were crazy-- won't you be in the hospital? they'd say. After having three kids, all born well past their due date, I felt confident that scheduling things only a few days before my due date wouldn't be a problem.

And it wasn't. In fact, I feel so blessed because instead of sitting around my house analyzing every contraction and twinge I enjoyed a pleasant day with friends on Sunday afternoon. I was able to watch my two older kids jump in up to their necks in Lake Michigan's frigid water at Harrington Beach State Park. I relaxed and had a fun time eating and chatting with other Lutheran home-schoolers while the kids shrieked over newly found turtles and played various games with other kids. I was treated to an enjoyable night of stargazing with those far more knowledgeable than I who were able to pass along their knowledge not only to me, but to my kids.

And last night Joe and I were fortunate enough to have an extremely pleasant and relaxing evening with good friends who were nice enough to make the drive down to see us and eat a wonderful meal at one of my favorite Milwaukee spots.

But now I am ready. I know, I know, Elisabeth has an important meet the teacher event at her preschool on Wednesday morning and it would be better if I were there, but I can feel the why-am-I-still-pregnant crabbiness setting in and I am just ready. Never mind the arbitrary eviction date scheduled for Friday* (scheduled more for liability reasons than medical ones, but such is the state of health care in America today-- but I won't get into that in this post). I am ready now. Ready, ready, ready.

Do you hear me, Caroline? I'm ready!

*UPDATE: Nope, not Friday, next Tuesday, September 1. After my appointment today my OB thought it would be good to give her a few more days to come on her own since my body does seem to be progressing that way but he's not willing to go past Tuesday. Considering that he's letting me try a vaginal birth after two c-sections, I'll take whatever time he'll give me. I'm still awaiting final confirmation from my OB's nurse that the surgery is scheduled, but once I know I will update, I'm sure. And, of course, I'm still optimistic I'll go into labor on my own prior to September 1.

UPDATE 2: September 1 at 8:45 a.m. it is. Unless she's born before that, which would be most, most excellent. One way or another, this baby is coming out SOON!


Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best and I hope that Caroline comes soon!

I work with one of the co-owners of Buckley's Kiskeam Inn. It's a great place!


MOST with an attitude said...


Bob said...

Yeah-- the light (or the baby) is at the end of tunnel.

Cate (Supermom) said...

Bob-- that's the hope, anyway. ;)

Anonymous said...

Do you know what... if you used your twitter or linked here from your facebook, I would not miss important blog posts like this.

LOL "at the end of the tunnel..."

So besides that first part of my comment, I have nothing but happy, positive, lovey-dovey wishes for you and your delivery. All will be perfect, and I can't wait to meet her.



Alexis Jacobs said...

Hope she comes soon on her own. Regardless in less than a week you will be holding your new daughter!