Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Grocery Store Survival


Why is it that every time I exit a grocery store with all four kids in tow I exhale and feel like I've just survived some sort of horrific battle?

Is it because my four-year-old is trying to climb on top of the car cart while my seven-year-old whirls around to talk to me every other second while not paying a bit of attention to all the people he's about to whack with the basket he's carrying? Or maybe it's because all three of my older kids jam their hands in the hard roll box and touch the rolls while I am trying to load the cart with actual groceries. It could be the sounds of, "MOMCANWEBUYTHISMOMCANWEBUYTHISMOMCANWEBUYTHIS!" coming from three different directions that make me hate grocery shopping so very, very much.

Whatever the reason, I hate it. I do. I cannot stand taking all four of my kids inside a grocery store. I hate it with a passion beyond reason. Because of that, I don't do it very often. I grit my teeth when on days, like today, I've planned ahead poorly and I find myself needing to grocery shop with all of them in tow. The entire trip through Pick-n-Save was as horrible as I had anticipated and I inwardly berated myself for not figuring all our food needs out over the weekend so I could have avoided the trip.

And now we are home. Tonight I will definitely have a glass of wine.

For what it's worth, though, Madeleine is actually more of a help than anything now, so I really should whine too much. Oops, forgot that red onion over in produce? Madeleine can dash and get it. Elisabeth starting to wander away? Madeleine chases after her. Hmmm. Maybe I need to reevaluate why I whine about things like this when, when I I really think back on it, it wasn't as awful as I'm making it sound.

Oh well. Whatever. I'm still having a glass of wine.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I've got one, and I can't stand going grocery shopping.

I can't stand grocery shopping even ALONE.

Melody said...

It's always as awful as it sounds, when you're doing it.
I always figured on buying one "treat" per kid. It had to be food, and I would allow junk. BUT they could only pick one; if they found another treasure later, they had to choose between the two. Once they were satisfied, they usually were more helpful. And they learned really quickly that I could take away the privilege if they were really obnoxious, which only happened once per kid. :)