Monday, April 21, 2008

Semantics

Elisabeth kills me most days. In a good way, of course.

Like most kids her age she doesn't want to miss out. On anything. And when she moved out of her crib she suddenly realized she had the ability to express her opinion about naps. Even though they were, and are, clearly still needed, she wants nothing to do with them.

About an hour or so after lunch she begins clutching her ratty purple blanket, sucking two fingers and leaning up against me or lying on the floor. But, if you ask her, "Elisabeth, are you ready for a nap?" she will promptly pull her fingers out of her mouth, sit up straight as an arrow, screw her face into a disgusted pout and say, "No! I don't want to take a nap."

A few weeks ago I grew tired of this. I got tired a crabby, tired Elisabeth getting more tired and more cranky until she became almost unbearable by suppertime. A few weeks ago I carried her upstairs, put her in her bed and when she climbed out, screwed her face into her pouty grimace and yelled that she didn't want to take a nap I suggested, while putting her back in her bed, that of course she didn't need a nap, but perhaps she would maybe like to rest in her bed for a few minutes after which time I would check on her and, if she was still awake, take her back downstairs.

To this she smiled, grabbed her ratty purple blanket, stuck her fingers in her mouth and turned onto her side. Since that day she's been "resting" for a few hours every day. But don't tell her that; she just thinks she's taking a short rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? You mean children are supposed to NAP during the day? Why didn't anyone tell me this?!?!

Cate said...

No, Terri, not nap. Rest. There's a difference. ;)

Anonymous said...

won't say a word.