Saturday, November 07, 2009

RIP, Bread Machine

I know how to make bread without a bread machine. It's not hard. I get that. And with the dough hook attachment for my Kitchenaid it's even easier.

Still, clean up is so, so much easier with a bread machine. No counters to wipe clean of flour, no bowls, no oven to run... just toss some flour, yeast, milk, etc. in the pan, press start and go. No kneading, no timing, nothing. Couldn't be any easier, right?

The past few times I've used my bread machine the final product has been one floury, crusty and, yet, wet mass of kitchen strangeness, like some science experiment gone bad. Somehow the paddle isn't mixing the ingredients well enough and the bread isn't turning out.

I think it's time to get rid of my bread machine. Space-wise, I'll be glad to get rid of the appliance giant that takes up a lot of storage space, but the part of me that appreciates easy, homemade bread is sad to see it go. Back to making bread from scratch, I guess. *sigh*

3 comments:

CJ said...

It is not just yours. Mine makes the bread, but it just can't compare to the old fashioned way that comes with the best taste!

Bob said...

Supermom....You are more than welcome to have the one back at my house....I have not used it at all, so please feel free to have it.

Cate said...

Thanks, Bob! I thought I remember her saying it was on its last legs as well, but maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Yeah, but Christine, sometimes it's just easier. ;) It's all better than preservative laden store bread.