Saturday, November 07, 2009

Story of the World



Yesterday Joe had to spend the day down in Chicago for work which meant that, based on train schedules, he wouldn't be home until 10 p.m. Madeleine and Hank begged to stay up and wait for Daddy and I said they could. We decided to read together until his arrival and I told the kids they could pick whatever they wanted, the only caveat was they needed to agree on whatever it was they chose.

Madeleine asked me, "Can we read a chapter or two out of our history book?" After I picked my jaw up off the floor I said that we could. Hank wanted to make sure we weren't going to have to do any map work or write any narrations before agreeing but after hearing that we could just plain read, both kids enthusiastically agreed on the book.

After reading about Murad and the Ottoman Empire Joe got home and we closed the book. But this morning I'm still delighted that the kids like our history text enough to want to read it simply for fun.

3 comments:

dad said...

When finished, let me have a crack at it.

Wendy said...

After this glowing recommendation, we ordered this series for our children. We read a few chapters every evening, and they LOVE it!

We're still on the first volume, but it lines up well with what our third and fifth graders are learning in school.

Thank you so much for writing about these books!

Cate said...

Oh, good! I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Wendy!