Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Movie Review, VII


After finishing Jane Austen's Persuasion in April I immediately logged onto my library's website and ordered a copy of the movie starring Amanda Root as Anne Elliot and Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth. It took awhile for them to track down an available copy, but this past week they succeeded and I received my email from Library Elf informing me that my long awaited movie selection was finally available.

Last night Superdad joined me in a mid-week movie night and we settled in. I, for one, loved the adaptation. No, it's not eighteen million hours long, like the adaptation of Austen's Pride and Prejudice that I so dearly love, so it doesn't do the entire story justice and there were a few aspects that made more sense to Superdad once I told him a bit more of the back story (i.e. Lady Russell is much more one dimensional in the movie than she is in the book; one doesn't really get any sense of why Anne would respect her opinion as much as she does) but the movie was charming. Beautiful acting, lovely sets and scenery and a wonderfully told tale.

I'd advise reading the book first, but if you're not an Austen fan or just plain don't like reading, I still would recommend not skipping this movie.

3 comments:

MOST with an attitude said...

Did you ever entertain the idea of reading the book "Mr Darcy's Diary"? I saw a copy of it at B&N and it said that it was a must read for any lover of Austen. Just curious!

Cate said...

MOST,

I have read a couple spin-offs. One was fun and one I remember being really, really bad. I can't remember for sure if I read Mr. Darcy's Diary though if it's the one I'm thinking it is then I did and I remember enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Now you're just out of hand.

I haven't gotten around to P&P yet. :)